I'm sure that like myself, you have wondered what is better, in regards to the health benefits of tea vs coffee. I love tea, as you can tell, but I love coffee too. I've always heard of many different health benefits of tea, but not a lot in relation to coffee, so I started my research into the matter. As I looked closer, many of the health factors that were attributed to coffee was really the caffeine in the coffee and not really unique to coffee itself. Having said that, because coffee has a higher caffeine content than tea, if we were to compare tea vs coffee at similar strengths, coffee does not have many more health benefits than tea. It would be more prudent to start with the health benefits of caffeine.
Possible Health Benefits of Caffeine
- Increases and helps consolidate memory
- Caffeine can help stimulate hair growth on balding men and women
- Decreses the risk of dimentia and Alzheimer's later in life
- Reduces the chances of heart disease
- Helps prevent skin cancer and melanoma
- Can help protect against Parkinson's disease in men
- Lowers weight gain by increasing metabolic rate
What Tea Offers That Coffee Doesn't
- Tea has more antioxidants - Green tea specifically has an antioxidant called ECGC which gives the immune system a boost and protects against cell damage
- Phytochemicals in green tea helps shield neurons that produce dopamine
- Tea allows for longer, more restful sleep than coffee drinkers
- Some tea has been linked to calmer and soothing moods such as jasmine or lavender tea
- Tea allows for longer periods of energy than coffee and helps shrinks fat cells
As both a coffee lover and a tea lover, I must look at the evidence. It appears to me that tea has just a little more health benefits than coffee. To be honest, when you look at all the research out there, it's really a close call. Coffee has it's benefits as does tea, but when you take into account that the benefits for coffee primarily stem from caffeine, then like we mentioned before not much of a different between the two. That is why we had to focus more on what tea offers that coffee does not. Some of these things you can check for yourself. Do you get better sleep if you drink tea instead of coffee? Does your metabolism get better if you drink green tea? Let us know by sharing your stories below.